Field Trips Are an Easy A+ at TheArtBarn
Incorporating Art, Animals & Agriculture all in one Farm-tastic Location!
We are licensed by the USDA & GA Dept. of Agriculture
who inspect regularly for animal health, cleanliness and well being.
We are fully insured by the Farm Bureau of Georgia.
I have been teaching in the Atlanta area for 30 years. As a very “hands on” early childhood education teacher, I am always looking for exciting and challenging new experiences for my students.
Teaching in the suburbs, many of my students have not had the experience of visiting a farm with bees,farm animals,and fresh vegetables. Over the years, I have tried many other farms around Atlanta but they never provided the experience that I wanted for my students. A lot have added bouncy houses, face painting, animal races, etc. It felt more like a carnival than a working farm. About five years ago I discovered The Art Barn and that they met the Georgia standards and curriculum guidelines.
The teachers, chaperones, and the students have all enjoyed it all very much. Whether holding a baby chick, learning about composting, taking a hayride, or painting a picture of a farm animal,or learning about planting vegetables, The Art Barn is a very happy place for all visitors and that I come back to enjoy each year with a brand new kindergarten class!
– Ginna Hobgood
WHEN ARE YOU OPEN?
Spring, Summer & Fall! The Farm is a completely outdoor facility.
WHAT DOES IT COST?
• $11.50 per person
• DEPOSIT - $50 is requested to hold your date
• BALANCE DUE - the day of your field trip
• We Accept Check, Cash & Credit Cards
• If you come without a check & request that your school be billed - there will be an additional $50 administration fee.
• PLEASE NOTE - 5% convenience or service fee applied to credit card charges
HOW DO WE PICK A DAY?
Click on the RED button at the top of the page, fill out the form, submit it, and one of our fabulous farm team members will get back with you faster than a chicken can lay an egg!
WHAT TIME SHOULD WE ARRIVE?
You can expect about a 3 hour field trip on the farm - arriving anywhere between 9:30/10am and departing sometime between 12:30/1pm. This, of course, is all dependent on your travel schedule.
HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN WE BRING?
We can easily handle large groups of 150-200. Have a teeny group? That’s OK. We handle groups of all sizes and will find a place for your group no matter the size!
WHAT WILL WE DO ON OUR FIELD TRIP?
Our field trips are completely planned out for you. When you arrive, we will organize classes into groups. You are also welcome to request pairing up of classes.
While at the farm, you will rotate through 5 stations with the best farm chicks in the business, to lead and teach your classes. Each station lasts approximately 15 minutes, the material is hands on and interactive, and is kept at a level where kids understand and stay interested. And TEACHERS you will be able to scratch all sorts of Georgia Standards off your list after a trip with us!
• The BARNYARD - Meet, pet, hold, & brush a variety of clean, friendly farm animals, like lambs, goats, donkeys, horses, ponies & potbelly pigs. Learn lots of fun facts about them
and discuss their jobs on the farm
• CHICKEN Class - Hens, Roosters, big chickens, little chickens, baby chickens, eggs. Learn about what makes all of them so different and so special! And snuggle with them too!
• ART Class - Create a cool watercolor masterpiece of one of our featured farm animals!
• Hop a HAYRIDE - Travel around the farm learning about the compost, earthworms and our garden!
• HONEYBEES - See what the buzz is all about at our honey bee station, and how important our tiny little friends are.
• LUNCH - Once all the rotations are complete, you can head over to your picnic tables and relax with a picnic lunch under the old magnolias.
** Let us know if there are learning objectives you wish to meet & we will tailor information to the needs of your students and curriculum. **
WHAT DO WE BRING?
• Lunches or snacks
• extra waters or juice packs or cooler & cups during hot months
• germ gel & hand wipes (we have them both but encourage you to bring extras!)
• a classroom first aide kit, sunscreen/bugspray
• you may also want to bring a table cloth
Please Remind Your Students & Parents to WEAR FARM ATTIRE (close toed shoes are preferred).
WHAT ABOUT THE WEATHER?
If it rains we will rain date you as quickly as possible. Also, please note that if temperatures fall below 40˚ we will also call to reschedule you on a warmer day.
At your request we can add PUMPKINS to the Fall Field Trip mix. Let us know your budget for size/cost and we will have them waiting for your tiny friends in the big field for a pumpkin fun run!
We are sure that this is the best field trip in Atlanta! We are close to all surrounding counties, Cherokee, Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton, Forsyth and Gwinnett. Just come on out and see for yourself! We are not a typical petting zoo. We are a working farm that provides an interactive and educational experience for people of all ages! We promise that if you come once, you will definitely come back again!
What are teachers saying?
We had a wonderful experience
with The Art Barn.
We brought 43 Kindergarten students and their parents on a field trip to the facility. The kids were engaged the entire time and the staff was very knowledgeable. Farmer Sue was wonderful and welcoming. Every detail was clearly thought out and communicated during the planning process. Thank you Farmer Sue and friends.
I recommend adding the pumpkin fun run to your
fall field trip.
– Katie Williford Surgala
MT. PARAN CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
I love this place and farmer Sue too!
Part of our home school group went today and my kids haven't stopped talking about it. The staff there is amazing! We will definitely be going back soon...thanks for sharing all your knowledge and babies with us!
– Teresa Dissis
Best field trip ever!
(I've been at it a while... quite a few field trips!)
I appreciate your organization, down to the last detail. The centers moved smoothly. There was plenty of distance between the groups. No one got confused or mixed up! I love integrating art! The lunch area is perfect. We will definitely come back next year if you will have us!
– Patti Alexander